Zarephath

"Nothing can be redeemed unless it is embraced." -- St. Ambrose
"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." -- Augustine

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chicago, United States

I am a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ. I'm chemical engineer from Kansas, married for 13 years to a Jewish New Yorker ("The Lady"), with 6 children: Pearl and Star, adopted from India; The Queen, adopted from Ethiopia; Judah, adopted from Texas; Little Town; and our youngest, Little Thrills. I have previously lived in Texas, California, India and Kuwait. The Lady also blogs at pilgrimagetowardspeace.blogspot.com. DISCLAIMER: I have no formal training in any subject other than chemical engineering.

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Timelines


I sent this to my wife last year on the 6-year anniversary of the day we met. Yes, it's a love letter involving graphs and mathematical concepts. Remember, I am an engineer.

My Lady,

Most of the time, life continues along a trajectory that is not terribly surprising. At least, that's how we imagine it when projecting the current course of events into the future. There is little that is surprising here.



Of course, in practice, things are more complicated - particularly in life. There are ups and down, setbacks and breakthroughs. As we encounter new experiences and people, they add to our lives, altering our course - but not fundamentally changing it. They would be represented by the inflection point on the graph below, indicating the gradual effect of some new influence. While not specifically foreseen, these effects are not entirely unpredictable or surprising.



But on rare occasions, something so utterly new enters that it fundamentally changes everything. The result is a discontinuity like that below, indicating a sharp difference between things before and after. There is no way that such a change could be projected from what came before, regardless of the assumptions involved. Such a phenomenon in any system would indicate that someone outside of - and greater than - the system personally and deliberately intervened in it; in life, it points to Divine Intervention.



For me, that discontinuity happened on August 27, 2006. My life has been unimaginably more beautiful, rich, full, loving, joyful, adventuresome, meaningful, and God-haunted ever since.

Love,
your Sir

1 Comments:

Blogger Diwakar said...

Hello, Bear, so good to know you through your profile on the blogger. I am glad to stop by your blog and know your love for the Lord about your profession. I so glad to know that you were in India for your work as an Engineer. Well I too am from Mumbai, India. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 34 yrs in the great city Mumbai, India a city with great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the broken hearted and to give them new hope, life, purpose and future. We also encourage your people as well as adults from the West to come on a short term missions trip to work with us. We would love to have you come once again on a short term missions trip to work with us and have life changing experience. I look forward to hear from you. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede

11:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home