Zarephath

"Nothing can be redeemed unless it is embraced." -- St. Ambrose
"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." -- Augustine

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chicago, United States

I am a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ. I'm chemical engineer from Kansas, married for 13 years to a Jewish New Yorker ("The Lady"), with 6 children: Pearl and Star, adopted from India; The Queen, adopted from Ethiopia; Judah, adopted from Texas; Little Town; and our youngest, Little Thrills. I have previously lived in Texas, California, India and Kuwait. The Lady also blogs at pilgrimagetowardspeace.blogspot.com. DISCLAIMER: I have no formal training in any subject other than chemical engineering.

Monday, February 18, 2008

A Lesson in Patriotism

This past Sunday I received a powerful lesson in patriotism. Partway through a long, passionate prayer, the Rev. Elvin S. Bloice of Muckle Memorial Baptist Church launched into a series of invocations for our nation's leaders. He prayed for the President and his cabinet, for both houses of Congress, then for the governor and the local political leaders, for the men and women of our armed forces, and even for victory over "the forces of evil" in Iraq and Afghanistan. He prayed so much for America that my own patriotism was put to shame. What was all the more remarkable was that, except for my wife and I and a few visitors, no one there could even vote in a federal election.

Muckle Memorial is on St. Croix in the US Virgin Islands, a territory which was purchased from Denmark for reasons of national defense in 1917. The congregation is entirely black--with the exception of ourselves and a young Hispanic woman visiting from Florida with her Crucian-born husband--and, on the whole, lower-income. They do not strike a visitor as the types to be waving American flags and donating to the Republican Party. Here in America's Caribbean, it would seem they could escape the turmoils and concerns of those in the 50 states. Yet they prayed more fervently for their country, for my country, than I do on most occasions.

This was one of the most profound demonstrations of patriotism I have seen in some time. It was not even remotely political, nor did it stem from a blind certainty that America is always right. They genuinely loved their country, simply because it was theirs. It was because of this, as well as enlightened self-interest (1st Timothy 2:1-2), that they prayed for all of those in our government, regardless of party. I left wondering why I didn't pray for my country more. I left wondering if Christian conservatives would pray as fervently and lovingly for a President Hillary Clinton as for President George W. Bush. After all, if you think someone is a bad president, ought you to pray even harder that they would act with wisdom and have the courage to do what is just? I left wondering if, despite our rhetoric about one nation "under God," our political activism sometimes crowds out our trust in God's sovereignty and His ability to work through all political authorities--even evil and incompetent ones.

For now, I'm grateful that my disenfranchised island brothers and sisters reminded me what it meant to be a true patriot.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home